Another Healthy Giraffe tasty experiment tweaked over and over resulted in a finished product I’m really pleased with this week. What I found I like most in an energy bar is when the primary ingredient are Dates. I have Larabars (date based) on hand all the time that I take with me on the go if I need a snack and I also use as a healthy dessert.
Dates provide a great source of fiber, 8 grams per 3.5 ounces, and phytonutrients which help protect us from cancers and cardiovascular disease while also promoting immune health. They do have high sugar content but it’s attached to the fiber which is the important part. Like other fruits containing sugar it’s like consuming a slow release pill as it releases into our bloodstream over time versus consuming refined sugars (ex. table sugar) that can cause immediate blood sugar level spikes.
For this concoction, I used plenty of Dates and a plethora of seeds that deliver various health benefits and great texture. Cacao comes into play for that chocolate flavor and Goji berries, besides the health benefits, provide a nice color and texture as well.
- Pumpkin Seeds – 100 grams (g)
- Sesame Seeds – 50 g
- Sunflower Seeds – 50 g
- Hemp Seeds – 50 g
- Chia Seeds – 50 g
- Goji Berries – 40 g
- Chocolate Plant-Based Protein Powder – 33 g
- Dates – 300 g
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Cacao Powder – 4 tablespoons
- Coconut Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Soak Dates warm water for five minutes (Med/High heat)
- Pulse Dry Ingredients in blender and then transfer to mixing bowl. I like it where there is good texture, so I do not grind fine. I add the goji berries on the last pulse too to keep the shape as much as possible.
- Blitz Wet Ingredients in blender and then add to dry ingredients
- Mix using one hand by squeezing through fingers. It’s messy…enjoy it…
- Using a roller, spread evenly on a baking sheet with parchment paper (about a ¼ inch thick)
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes
- Remove and cut into bars to the shape and size you desire and place in refrigerator for storage
Let me know what you think. This is such a healthy snack to energize or sustain a workout and/or have as a dessert.
– Add Health to Your Life